Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026

    UAE mediation delivers 410 Russia Ukraine swap

    May 16, 2026

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    May 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Congo GazetteCongo Gazette
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Congo GazetteCongo Gazette
    Home » EU postpones retaliation as US tariffs loom
    Business

    EU postpones retaliation as US tariffs loom

    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    The European Union has announced a further delay to its planned retaliatory trade tariffs on United States exports, extending the suspension until early August to allow more time for negotiations between Brussels and Washington. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen made the announcement during a press conference on Sunday, citing the need to exhaust all possibilities for a diplomatic resolution before enacting the measures.

    European Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen

    The EU’s countermeasures were initially intended as a response to the 25 percent tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump on European steel and aluminum exports earlier this year. These European tariffs, valued at approximately €21 billion ($24.5 billion), were first suspended in March but had been scheduled to come into force this week. Von der Leyen explained the latest extension follows a letter received from Washington warning that the United States would implement 30 percent tariffs on European imports starting August 1 if no agreement is reached.

    “We will therefore also extend the suspension of our countermeasures until early August,” von der Leyen said. “At the same time, we will continue to prepare for the countermeasures so we’re fully prepared.” She reaffirmed the EU’s preference for a negotiated solution and stated the bloc would use the remaining time to pursue a resolution. he EU’s trade ministers are meeting in Brussels on Monday to discuss the bloc’s strategy.

    Von der Leyen says EU prefers negotiated solution over escalation

    German Finance Minister Lars Klingbeil emphasized the importance of continuing “serious and solution-oriented negotiations” but warned that failure to reach an agreement would require “decisive countermeasures to protect jobs and businesses in Europe.” Klingbeil’s remarks were echoed by French President Emmanuel Macron, who has called on the European Commission to “resolutely defend European interests” amid escalating trade tensions. The standoff follows broader moves by the United States to increase tariffs on numerous trading partners. As of July, Washington has proposed new tariff conditions on 24 countries in addition to the EU.

    President Trump has already unveiled preliminary agreements with the United Kingdom and Vietnam but has indicated further tariffs may be levied on countries including Japan, South Korea, Canada, and Brazil. The Trump administration’s aggressive trade stance also includes a proposed 50 percent tariff on copper imports, with similar measures aimed at Mexico and Canada. In a televised interview over the weekend, President Trump defended his tariff policy, stating it had resulted in “hundreds of billions of dollars” flowing into the U.S. economy, despite rising criticism from affected nations.

    Meanwhile, the European Union has prepared a secondary list of potential countermeasures, while also pursuing alternative trade agreements, including a recently concluded deal with Indonesia. The EU’s Anti-Coercion Instrument gives the bloc authority to retaliate against economic pressure from foreign governments. These measures may include restricting access to public procurement markets, though officials maintain negotiation remains the preferred course of action. – By EuroWire  News Desk.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Air Arabia Q1 profit slips as regional disruption bites

    May 15, 2026

    South Korea ICT exports hit $42.7 billion in April

    May 14, 2026

    EMSTEEL Q1 net profit jumps as margins widen

    May 14, 2026

    India unveils sovereign-backed maritime insurance pool

    May 14, 2026
    Latest News

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026

    UAE mediation delivers 410 Russia Ukraine swap

    May 16, 2026

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    May 16, 2026

    UAE hosts PM Modi for official talks on energy and trade

    May 15, 2026

    Trump and Xi end Beijing summit with cautious progress

    May 15, 2026

    Air Arabia Q1 profit slips as regional disruption bites

    May 15, 2026

    South Korea ICT exports hit $42.7 billion in April

    May 14, 2026

    EMSTEEL Q1 net profit jumps as margins widen

    May 14, 2026
    © 2026 Congo Gazette | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.